Ptarmigan existed as a project space in Vallila from 2009-2011 and a mobile curatorial/creative platform until 2014. We no longer exist as an organised collective, but this website will continue to serve as an archive of the activities produced as/at Ptarmigan during these years.
We are looking for elephants and performers to take part in a new art work by British artist Amelia Beavis-Harrison on Friday 18th October 2013. The performance is part of the Dimanche Rouge Estonia-Finland-France festival which will take place in Helsinki from 17-20 October. The new piece called The Elephant Dance will see six people take on the roles of elephant and hunter as a durational performance plays out around the Helsinki Art Museum. The performance uses movement as a way of interpreting traditional tribal dance to create a re-worked performance but is not a choreographed piece.
Who we are looking for:
- People prepared to give their time to a workshop to develop the work and a subsequent performance.
- You can be an artist, dancer, student or someone with a general interest, 18 years or over
- There is no requirement to come from a dance or performance background, there will be no set dance steps to learn
What you will be asked to do:
- Take part in a day workshop led by the artist that will incorporate learning performance techniques which will lead into development of the performance. Workshop is Friday 18th October from 11am
- Take part in the durational performance around the Helsinki Art Museum. Performance is on Friday 18th October from 4pm
- Wear a costume for the duration of the performance
Overall this aims to be an enjoyable experience where you become a part of a new and evolving piece and get to meet other new like minded people.
For more about Amelia’s art practice see: www.ameliabeavisharrison.com