Ptarmigan existed as a project space in Vallila from 2009-2011 and a mobile curatorial/creative platfom until 2014. We no longer exist as an organised collective, but this website will continue to serve as an archive of the activities produced as Ptarmigan during these years.
Some of the people who were involved with Ptarmigan are now operating Temporary.
We are looking for elephants and performers to take part in a new art work by British artist Amelia Beavis-Harrison on Friday 18th October 2013. The performance is part of the Dimanche Rouge Estonia-Finland-France festival which will take place in Helsinki from 17-20 October. The new piece called The Elephant Dance will see six people take on the roles of elephant and hunter as a durational performance plays out around the Helsinki Art Museum. The performance uses movement as a way of interpreting traditional tribal dance to create a re-worked performance but is not a choreographed piece.
Who we are looking for:
- People prepared to give their time to a workshop to develop the work and a subsequent performance.
- You can be an artist, dancer, student or someone with a general interest, 18 years or over
- There is no requirement to come from a dance or performance background, there will be no set dance steps to learn
What you will be asked to do:
- Take part in a day workshop led by the artist that will incorporate learning performance techniques which will lead into development of the performance. Workshop is Friday 18th October from 11am
- Take part in the durational performance around the Helsinki Art Museum. Performance is on Friday 18th October from 4pm
- Wear a costume for the duration of the performance
Overall this aims to be an enjoyable experience where you become a part of a new and evolving piece and get to meet other new like minded people.
For more about Amelia’s art practice see: www.ameliabeavisharrison.com